We are really glad that you are interested in becoming a member of the First Baptist Church family of faith. We would love to answer all of your questions. We have made an attempt to answer some of the most common ones. Please know that we are here to help and assist you.
What is Membership?
The first question to help introduce church membership at First Baptist is the question, "What?" What is church membership and what does it mean at First Baptist Church? Membership means commitment!
A commitment to...
At First Baptist Church, membership means committing to...
- A Cause! "The clear mission from Christ for His Church"
- A Community! "The close family known as the Church"
A Christian without a church family is an orphan!
Where is Membership?
The second question to help you understand membership at First Baptist Church is the question, "Where?" Where should you make a commitment to the Cause and Community of Christ?
Church membership is both...
- Universal "All time and any place"
- Local "Specific time and certain place"
You should commit to the local church where you most closely agree with the...
- Theology "What the church believes"
- Methodology "How the church functions"
Why is Membership Important?
The third question to help you understand membership at First Baptist Church is the "Why" question. Why should you make a commitment to the cause and community of a local church? There are at least four good reasons:
- Biblical Reasons "Christ is committed to the church!"
- Cultural Reasons "It is an antidote to our society"
- Practical Reasons "It defines who can be counted on"
- Personal Reasons "It produces spiritual growth"
Who is a Member?
A fourth question to help you understand membership at First Baptist Church is the question "Who?" Who is a member of First Baptist Church? There are so many people coming and going. How do we know who are members? We believe a person who has committed to the cause and community at First Baptist Church demonstrates these characteristics:
- A Believer in Christ! Being part of the congregation at First Baptist Church means you have come to personal faith in Christ and accepted Jesus as your Savior and Lord.
- Baptized by Immersion! Being part of the congregation at First Baptist Church means you have followed the biblical example of baptism by immersion as an act of obedience to Christ.
- Agrees with the Vision, Doctrine, and Structure of First Baptist Church! Being part of the congregation at First Baptist Church means you are in agreement with the philosophy of ministry, the theology and the methodology of our church.
- Involved! Being part of the congregation at First Baptist Church means you are actively involved in the worship and ministries of the church family. A committed member is someone who desires to share the responsibility of the church through prayer, service and faithful stewardship. Being part of the congregation at First Baptist Church means you belong to and actively participate in the mission and ministry of the church.
- Public Identification! Being part of the congregation at First Baptist Church means you have openly identified with the membership of our local fellowship and are committed to support the testimony of the church by protecting the unity within the congregation and living a godly life throughout our community.
When is Membership?
The fifth question to help you understand membership at First Baptist Church is the question, "When?" When does someone actually become a member? Becoming a member of the church universal occurs at salvation! Becoming a member of the local church, known as First Baptist Church, occurs after...
- A person has accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord
- A person has followed the biblical example of baptism
- A person has completed the Stepping into Membership class
- A person has joined a small group within the ministry
- A person has been presented to the church family as a new member
How is Membership?
The final question to help you understand membership at First Baptist Church is the question, "How?" How does a person make the membership commitment?
- First Step: Request Membership. We receive new members during the invitation hymn at the close of a worship service. You can become a member of First Baptist Church in three ways: by profession of faith, by transfer of membership, or by statement of faith. Profession of Faith means making a public commitment to Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord and being baptized by immersion during one of our worship services. Upon a person's request for membership from another Southern Baptist Church, the church office will write to the church where your membership is and request that your name be deleted from their membership and added to ours. Or if your membership records are not available (lost or the church has been disbanded, etc.) you may join First Baptist by your statement that you have accepted Jesus Christ and were baptized by immersion after your conversion.
- Second Step: Attend a Stepping into Membership Class. After your public request for membership, a letter will be mailed to you informing you of our next Stepping into Membership Class. These classes often meet during the Sunday School hour or on one Sunday night each quarter. This is where we share information about what we believe and our methodology and ministries. The class is designed to offer encouragement and information. Your attendance is not required but highly encouraged.
- Third Step: Be Presented to the Church Family. During the Church Business Meeting following your public request, new members are presented to the congregation for confirmation and affirmation.